Annual quota: 1500
Australian citizens who wish to enter the Argentine Republic within the framework of the Memorandum of Understanding between Argentina and Australia on a Work and Holiday Programme must obtain the relevant visa. The work and holiday visa shall be issued to Australian citizens who meet the following requirements at the time of submitting the application:
- They are Australian citizens and holders of a valid Australian passport;
- They are aged between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) inclusive;
- They are not travelling accompanied by dependent family members, unless they have their own visa;
- They have not previously taken part in the Programme;
- They have no criminal records;
- They have sufficient funds for their maintenance during the initial period of their stay;
- They have a return ticket to their home country or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket;
- They hold medical and accident insurance including hospitalization and repatriation for the 12 months of authorized stay;
- They hold tertiary qualifications or have successfully completed at least two years of undergraduate university studies;
- They have a letter of support from their home government backing their participation in the Programme;
- They pay the consular fees of the relevant visa.
Applicants are reminded that, upon obtaining a Work and Holiday Visa, they will be authorized to stay in Argentina for a non-renewable period of up to twelve (12) months. They may enter and leave Argentina and work, but must not be employed by any one employer for more than 6 (six) months as the main purpose of the Programme is to promote tourist and leisure activities. They may also study or train for up to 4 (four) months during their stay.
How to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa
The visa application is personal and must be submitted along with the following documentation (original and copies) to the Argentine Consulate in Sydney:
- Valid Australian passport with at least one blank page;
- Completed visa application form;
- One front face photograph (4x4 cm) on white background;
- A criminal record search certificate issued by the Australian authorities stating that the applicant has no criminal records for the last three years;
- An affidavit stating that the applicant has no criminal records in other countries;
- A reservation for a return ticket to Australia or to the applicant's usual place of residence or proof of sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket;
- Proof of sufficient funds for the applicant's maintenance during the initial period of stay (a minimum of USD 2,500). This requirement may be fulfilled by submitting (either own or third-party) bank statements for the last three months or credit card statements;
- A reservation or a budget for medical and accident insurance for a minimum of USD 30,000, including repatriation of human remains and sanitary repatriation;
- A certificate of completion of tertiary studies or of at least two years of undergraduate university studies;
- A letter of support from the Australian Government backing their participation in the Programme; and
- A payment receipt for the relevant consular fee (USD 150).
The fulfilment of these requirements does not guarantee the grant of a visa as this is an exclusive prerogative of the Argentine Government.